This property is listed with:
House Removal Quotes
Over 15,600 companies ready to quote you for your house move! We guarantee to beat any previously quoted price. Get multiple free quotes now and save up to 75%.
Here is the recent activity for this area.
|Job Description||Distance||Lowest Quote|
Enter your email address to receive the estimate.
Full Details for 3 Bedroom Detached to rent in Thornton Heath, CR7 :
Bairstow Eves Norbury are pleased to offer this superb refurbished three bedroom house within walking distance to Mayday hospital, the property has just been fully refurbished throughout with everything being new, the property consists of two reception rooms and a fully fitted modern kitchen with granite worktops. Upstairs we have the new 3-piece bathroom suite, three bedrooms, two doubles and one single. Both double bedrooms have been equipped with built in wardrobes to provide ample storage space. The property also benefits from a rear patio yard, double glazing and central heating.
Be quick to view as this will not stay around for long....
Bairstow Eves Norbury are open Monday - Friday 830-630, Saturday 830-530 and closed on Sundays
The original settlement of Thornton Heath was clustered around the Pond area on the London Road, but when the railway station came in 1862, the focus of development shifted to what is now Thornton Heath High Street. This latter area was called, for a while, 'New Thornton Heath'.
The older Thornton Heath, part of the Manor of Norbury, had been open heath common land for centuries. Its main claim to fame was the useful pond, for horses and cattle, and the gallows, which stood on the site. The Enclosure Act of 1799 turned it into privately-owned farmland. The Enclosure also enabled owners to sell their land for development, and within a few years there was a fair cluster of buildings around the pond area and development (mostly quite substantial houses) was spreading up the eastern side of the London Road on the way to Croydon.
As already mentioned, 'New Thornton Heath' was created by the railway. Before 1862, the area had a few farmhouses, one or two villas and, an important local industry, market-gardening. These were soon engulfed by new streets. By 1900 there was very little open land left in Thornton Heath, new or old
Croydon Workhouse was situated in Queen's Road, after it moved there from Duppas Hill in 1865. In 1930 the Workhouse became Queen's Road Hospital, and the remaining section is now a Grade II Listed Building. Opposite is Queen's Road Cemetery, opened in 1861 when the neighbouring churchyards were getting full up.
Mayday Hospital started life in 1881 as the infirmary of the Workhouse, and was renamed Mayday in 1930. The hospital takes its name from the road, not vice versa.
Another Grade II listed building is St. Alban's Church, Grange Road. Built in 1889, it is described as a red-brick perpendicular style with stone dressing.
At the junction of the High Street and Parchmore Road, on a site previously called Walker's Green, stands the Clocktower, which was built in 1900, financed partly by public subscription.
In earlier times, Croydon was well-known for its charcoal-burners or colliers, and Colliers Water Lane commemorates this connection with that trade. Another industry connected with the area until recently was clock and bell-making. The world-famous firm of Gillett & Johnston was based in Union Road from 1844 to 1957, and its clock tower was a well-known landmark in the area until it was demolished in 1997.
The old pond at Thornton Heath, situated in the middle of the London Road, is one of the town's oldest landmarks. The Pond appears on all the earliest maps of Croydon, and was an important public watering-place for horses and cattle moving to and from Croydon. It is possible that the Croydon colliers (charcoal burners) who operated in the area at least from the 16th century and probably much earlier, used the Pond as their source of water - hence the name Colliers Water Lane nearby.
In 1887, an ornamental fountain was placed in the middle of the pond by Croydon Borough Council, paid for by the local residents
Need a Property has hundreds of thousands of properties available. Start a new search!
Google Street View
House Prices for houses sold in CR7 7EW
- Bridge to School PRU
- 1.2 miles
- Old Palace of John Whitgift School
- 1.2 miles
- Al-Khair School
- 0.5 miles
- Elmwood Junior School
- 0.2 miles
- Ecclesbourne Primary School
- 0.1 miles
- Elmwood Infant School
- 0.2 miles
- ALTE School
- 0.5 miles
- BRIT School for Performing Arts and Technology
- 0.6 miles
- Bensham Manor School
- 0.4 miles